Disclaimer: ♡ As an affiliate, I may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. I only recommend products or services that I use and trust and that will be valuable to you. ♡ :
Focusing on the Positives Guest post written by Ruth
Life is a journey. It is full of the good, the bad and the ugly. It has its ups and downs, and most times, we tend to focus on the negatives instead of focusing on the positives. I as a person try my best to focus more on the positives than the negative. I always make a deliberate effort to focus on the positives. So much that if there are 99 negative things and just 1 positive thing, I do all my best to focus on the 1 positive thing rather than the 99 negative things (yea I know it’s easier said than done) and it has changed my life.
Now I’m not asking you to practice toxic positivity. Neither am I trying to tell you that I am always positive (I have days when I am 100% negative and that’s okay). No one is always positive all the time. Even if they act like they are, and you are allowed to feel your feelings whether positive or negative. You are allowed to be negative too and that’s okay. Even the most negative emotions are valid and should be felt.
Challenges are part of life but they can sometimes weigh us down to a point where all we do is focus on the negatives but it is our duty to strive to focus more on the positives than the negatives and not let the negatives weigh us down. In my review of the year 2020, I talked about how much 2020 affected me and my mental health. 2020 was quite a year for all of us and at a point in 2020, all I could focus on were the negatives but I made a conscious effort to focus on the positives rather than the negatives and boy, it helped me a lot.
RELEVANT POST: How to practise gratitude with Dancing and Life in 2021
Focusing on the positives will help up your gratitude game
Trying your absolute best to focus on the positives will help you see the beautiful things in your life. It will open your eyes to the beauty that lies around you. Sometimes, challenges, adversaries and problems make us oblivious to the fact that we have things to be grateful for.
But focusing on the positives will help us be more thankful and appreciative of what we have, and what we are and it will help us start to appreciate the little things even more.
It will make your problems seem less weighty
Focusing on the positives will make your problems less significant. It will make your problems seem less daunting whereas focusing on the negatives magnifies your problems and makes you feel like all there really is and all that really matters is your problems.
It will make you happier and improve your overall wellbeing
I agree that it is 100% easy to be carried away by the negatives but focusing on the positives will make you see the good and the positive side in every situation, thereby making you an overall happy person. Focusing on the positives will make you happy while focusing on the negative will make you unhappy.
Focusing on the positives instead of the negatives will give you a better approach to life
Positive thinking will help you see things in a better light, it will make you feel like there’s hope. When I started focusing on the positives rather than the negatives, I started waking up each day feeling like there’s hope and everything will fall in place at last.
Instead of focusing on all the things that are going wrong, start looking at what is going right. Focusing on the positives will give you a much better approach to life and it will help you approach life with hope that things are going to get better at last.
RELEVANT POST: 50 questions about yourself: Learn about YOU!
HOW TO START FOCUSING ON THE POSITIVES RATHER THAN THE NEGATIVES
1) Make a conscious effort to realize that focusing on negativity doesn’t help and no one has ever achieved anything good by being negative all the time.
2) Write down a list of the positive things in your life (things that make you happy, that one incident that made you smile and still makes you happy till today), write em down.
3) Practice gratitude: Appreciate, acknowledge, be grateful and be thankful for the little things that make you happy.
4) Say positive things to yourself: Our mindset does play a huge role in us focusing on the positives in every situation. If you have a mindset that is always packed with negativity, then focusing on the positives might end up being a really big task. But saying positive things to ourselves is a great way to shift our mind/thoughts from those negative things. If you don’t know any positive thing to say to yourself – I got you covered as below are a list of positive things to say to yourself.
POSITIVE THINGS TO SAY TO YOURSELF
1) I am loved.
2) I am not a failure. I will succeed.
3) Everything is working together for my good.
4) I refuse to allow negativity rule my life.
5) I am blessed beyond measures.
6) In years from now, I will look back at myself and be proud of how far I have come.
7) I can do it.
8) There will always be bad days but I’ll come out stronger.
9) I am a conqueror.
10) I am in control of my thoughts and feelings.
QUOTES TO HELP YOU FOCUS MORE ON THE POSITIVE THAN THE NEGATIVE
- Always remember your focus determines your reality – George Lucas
- It is during our darkest moment that we must focus to see the light – Aristotle
- Successful people maintain a positive focus in life no matter what is going on around them – Jack Canfield
- Relax and focus on the positives. Life is too short to worry about all the negatives – Unknown
- Always remember, your focus determines your reality – George Lucas
- Live life to the fullest, and focus on the positives – Matt Cameron
- Choose to keep your focus on that which is truly magnificent, beautiful, uplifting and joy – Ralph Marston
- The greatest discovery of all time is that a person can change his future by merely changing his attitude – Oprah Winfrey
WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO FOCUS ON THE POSITIVES
Focusing on the positives will help you lead a better and more amazing life. Focusing on the positives will give you something to look back on and be thankful for. It will give you a better view of life and it will help improve your mental health and your overall wellbeing.
It is important to focus on the positives. Deciding to focus on the positives instead of the negative will improve you as a person, it will give you hope that things will fall in place no matter how terrible it seems. It will give you hope and assurance that there are better days to come. It will also make you more confident in yourself and your abilities and like I said before no one is always positive.
Everyone, myself included has times when they are extremely negative. That’s okay and completely normal but it’s just our duty to try and give more attention to the positives instead of dwelling on or focusing on the negatives.
Choosing to focus on the positives more than the negatives has completely changed my life for the better. I’m a million per cent sure it will change your life too.
Life isn’t gonna be all rosy and we are allowed to feel our feelings. But we should never let negativity take over our lives or become a daily routine. It is not easy to focus on the positives in every situation, but it is so worth it. Now, I am not saying you should completely ignore the negative. just you should focus more and give more time and energy to the positives.
One of the things that got me through 2020 was focusing on the positives. I’m not gonna paint this as a rosy easy thing because it’s super difficult to focus on the positives when everything seems to be going bad but focusing on the positives though difficult is extremely worth it.
Focusing on the positives might sound easy. but it is one of the hardest things to actually do and it can completely change your life and help you be your best self. Here’s how focusing on the positives will change your life.
I hope you enjoyed this post! Over to you now, what are some tips you use in helping you stay positive? Let me know.
About the author
Website: Ruthiee loves Glamour – www.ruthieelovesglamour.com
Ruth is a student blogger who loves to inspire people to be the best version of themselves. She runs a blog about personal development, self-care, self love, positivity, personal growth and all thing’s lifestyle. Ruthiee loves Glamour is a space for everyone to learn, develop themselves, interact and navigate their way through life. Keep up with Ruth and her blog.
- Twitter – @ruthlovesglamour
- Pinterest – @ruthieelovesglamour01
- Facebook page – @ruthieelovesglamour
I love your tips on how to focus on the positive instead of the negative! Focusing on the positives does amazing things for your overall health. Great post!
Good tips, what a nice post! it’s important to try highlight the good things in life – it can be easy to get focused on the bad, but we do have a lot to be grateful for!
Hope you are having a good weekend 🙂
Nic | Nic's Adventures & Bakes says
Thanks for sharing, it’s good to focus on the positives 🙂
Amazing post. I strongly believe gratitude is the key to happiness. I also wrote on the relatable topic https://www.justmorealive.com/want-a-happy-life-try-this-the-secret-of-a-happy-life/.
Great post and writing.
Keep up the good work.
Tips on staying positive are always good. I am a firm believer in staying positive. Focus on what’s good. Thanks for sharing your tips.